Jamie Nanquil | @the_jamielynn Social media is giving companies the chance to up their branding game with more ways to customize the look and design of their social media platforms. Cover images seem to be the latest trend, after being integrated into Facebook and Google+ layouts. Twitter has now jumped aboard with their newest update, Twitter headers. LinkedIn is joining the bandwagon by allowing a similar image to be added to Company Pages.
But let's stay focused. We're here to talk about Twitter headers. What sets the Twitter header apart is that it automatically houses your profile picture, name, handle, bio, location and website. In many aspects, it will become the most important design element of your Twitter account since it will be the first thing displayed across any device that is viewing it, whether it is online, on mobile or on a tablet.
If you're not sure where to start, here are some basics to get you headed in the right direction:
- Bigger is better: the maximum and optimal viewing size for the header image is 1252px X 626px - make sure not to drop to a size lower than 640px wide
- Keep it simple: because all of your important information is displayed over the image, be sure to choose something that’ll keep that text readable and won't compete for the attention of your profile photo.
- Don't clash: because the default text is white, so avoid using an image with very bright or pale colors to avoid clashing.
- Don't be kept in the dark: Twitter automatically darkens the header image, so keep this in mind when choosing an already dark image - you may need to brighten it slightly before uploading.
- Mix and match: everything is customizable so make sure that your background and Twitter header complement each other.
Take a look at these Twitter accounts that got it right:
What are some creative and innovative Twitter headers you've come across? Share them with us in the comments section.
**Editor's note: Twitter headers are available to all users. Go to your account settings and then click on Design. It will be the first item under 'Customize Your Own'.