By Kara Salazar | @karasalazar
Buckle up and hold on tight - because I’m about to take you through the wild and often confusing world of Millennials.
Millennials are the largest generation in US history, with over 92 million belonging to this group. They also spend about $2 trillion a year - and that’s expected to increase to $3.4 trillion by 2018. Now, that’s a lot of spending power!
My credentials? As a Millennial myself, I consider myself a decent authority on the subject. Let me help break down this generation’s crafty lingo, and hopefully help direct your social efforts in the process.
1. #Turnt A gathering of Millennials may use this hashtag to describe their physical/emotional/mental state at a particularly invigorating event. #Turnt is essentially slang for not sober...or for some, just plain old “excited.” (Though we should warn you that #Turnt is more likely associated with the former.)
— Rob Gronkowski (@RobGronkowski) April 11, 2016
2. #ItsLit As Urban Dictionary defines it: “when something fun or exciting is happening you and your friends are turnt up.” #ItsLit can also be followed by the fire emoji, or in addition to #turnt. Fireworks shot into the sky above a confetti-filled hotel rager? #ItsLit.
Spending my weekend doing homework and studying for midterms next week #itslit ????
— Kara Salazar (@karasalazar) March 25, 2016
3. #Blessed This is the perfect hashtag to use when something good happens. For example, if you find a 5 dollar bill in your pocket or a stranger holds the door open for you, you’re “#Blessed.”
— Zach Braff (@zachbraff) April 14, 2016
4. #Squad Thanks to Taylor Swift, every Millennial loves showing off their awesome group of friends and this is the perfect hashtag for it. Use this whenever there’s a large group of amazing things - whether it be friends or cute kittens!
A photo posted by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:40pm PDT
Remember those cute baby photos? College drinking days? Or that random time you got FroYo last week? Throwback Thursday (#TBT) is the perfect hashtag for you. The hashtag is rampant on Thursdays (obvi) and can be used for showing the origins of your business, or photos of really embarrassing 90’s outfits.
A photo posted by Justin Timberlake (@justintimberlake) on Jul 24, 2014 at 6:13am PDT
6. #WCW or #MCM Do you love to show off sexy celebrities? Your SO? Or maybe even creeper pics of that cute guy at Starbucks. These hashtags, Woman Crush Wednesday (#WCW) and Man Crush Monday (#MCM), are perfect for showing off your significant other. These are also frequently used to show off attractive celebrities that you’re lusting over, like handsome Theo James below.
— ASOS France (@ASOS_Fr) April 18, 2016
7. #TransformationTuesday Have you noticed Millennials really like showing themselves off? #TransformationTuesday is used frequently to show off body transformations or how much cuter we’ve gotten since high school. Use this to show how much improvement you’ve made as a product, business, or personally!
— JosephJUpdates (@JosephJUpdates) April 12, 2016
8. #FlashbackFriday Millennials dwell a lot on the past, but these pictures should only be posted on Fridays.
A photo posted by Bubblebecca Pugs - Becca Drake (@bubblebeccapugs) on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:57am PDT
9. #Goals Whether it’s #RelationshipGoals #LifeGoals or #FoodGoals. We yearn for things we don’t have.
— The Dodo (@dodo) April 15, 2016
10. #OOTD If you have a cute or quirky outfit to show, this hashtag is perfect for that! So show off your “outfit of the day” (#OOTD) and make people jealous of your stylish self.
A photo posted by Leonie Hanne (@ohhcouture) on Apr 15, 2016 at 9:54am PDT
Still trying to distinguish between your #Turnt and your #Lit? Give us a ring at (469) 248-0616!