Do you really need an iPad?
Brandie Broihier | @brandienic Long rumored release of the iPad 3 confirmed: Apple has just sent out invites to an iPad event for next Wednesday, March 7. Mac nerds, prepare to celebrate. Or kick yourself for buying an iPad 2 last week like I did.
As a self-labeled Mac addict, this blog assignment is of particular difficulty for me. How can I possibly be neutral, objective, and thoughtful when my initial response is, well yeah of COURSE you need an iPad.
So I started by looking for images of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I was hoping to find visual proof that I am, in fact, correct in my assumption that iPads are a life necessity. Instead, I found this.
While this clearly realistic update to Maslow's work of genius appeals to my inner nerd, it seems, perhaps, that not everyone views ridiculously expensive technology in the same positive light as myself.
Last week I admitted to my Dad that I'd bought an iPad, and wanted his recommendation on super cool apps. Instead, he responded with words like "responsibility" and "choices." I guess he didn't approve of my purchase.
Sigh. What's a girl to do? If Carrie Bradshaw was into technology like she is shoes, I'd have an easy quote bank to justify this somehow.
I like my money right where I can see it... hanging in my closet.
Well, Carrie, I agree. Kind of. Except I like my money in a sweet aluminum and glass casing where I can Facebook, Tweet, email, listen to music, and be super productive.
On a more serious note, there are pros and cons to making a major purchase like a tablet of any brand. Tablets are not cheap, and while gadget-addicts like myself may occasionally confuse need and desire, a tablet cannot be considered a necessity.
That being said, here is my personal list of the top 5 reasons why you should buy an iPad:
1. Productivity - Imagine four iPhones stuck together to make one really big screen. That big screen provides ample opportunity for emailing, networking, FaceTime , document building, and more.
2. Size Matters - iPad portability is efficient. Next to ordinary computers, tablets by design are comparatively lightweight and relatively easy to carry around.
3. Entertainment - Marinate on this: Netflix for your kid in the doctor's office waiting room. Games, apps, magazines, the list goes on.
4. Style - It's sleek, it's sexy, and you know it makes you look cool. Anyone who says differently is probably jealous. Carrie Bradshaw would buy matching shoes.
5. They are really, really, really fun. The graphics are beautiful, the apps are big enough to enjoy, and the options are growing.